- EDP Course Schedule (current students can ask Dr. Hammer for password) – details what and when EDP classes will be taught by whom during the next several years.
- EDP 3 Minute Social Justice Research Competition (3M-SJR) Rules (revised 1/27/21)
- Names and Emails of UK Counseling Psychology Students (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – useful when you wish to reach out to fellow students regarding planning student events, etc.
- Free and Low-Cost Personal Psychotherapy Services Available to Current CP Students (ask Dr. Hammer for password)
- University of Kentucky Graduate School Bulletin – has information on graduate school deadlines, qualifying for Kentucky residency, post-baccalaureate graduate student status, international student admission, credit load limits, requirements of MS and PhD, etc.
- Incomplete (I) Grade Record
- Faculty Grievance Procedure
- Archives (older Handbooks and Programs of Study)
- Faculty can request assistance from COE IT via this webpage, which has options for submitting a service request, updating your faculty bio/directory listing, and more
- APA Style Manual 7th Edition, Summary of Updates from 6th Edition +
- Q&A: Should I take EDP 558 Stats or am I ready to take EDP 660 Stats? (ask Dr. Hammer for password)
- UK Student Account Services website explaining Refund Policies, Deadlines, Amounts
Orientation to Our Department/Program
- UK College of Education Graduate Student Orientation Video Recording (ask Dr. Hammer for password), the accompanying PowerPoint, and a PDF document with resources for Graduate Students – new EDP students are encouraged to review these resources if they did not attend the COE orientation
- UK Graduate School’s New Graduate Student Orientation – all incoming master’s and PhD students are invited to participate in the New Graduate Student Orientation each fall.
- UK Graduate School’s Orientation for New Graduate Teaching Assistants at UK – required for students who are going to be a TA for the first time at UK.
- EDP Operational Flowchart (update forthcoming) – guidance on what faculty/administrators to email when you have a logistical question.
- UK Counseling Psychology 2-Page Brochure
- Preparing Professional Psychologists to Serve a Diverse Public – to be read by students prior to signing UK CP Program Policies Consent Form.
- Counseling Psychology Model Training Values Statement Addressing Diversity – to be read by students prior to signing UK CP Program Policies Consent Form.
- American Psychological Association: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Framework (2020)
- UK CP Program Policies Consent Form – to be signed by all new students by end of August during first year in program.
- CP Interpersonal Guidelines – guidelines for how faculty and students in the program can approach their relationships with each other to facilitate collective well-being.
- New UK Student Account Setup (linkblue ID)
- New UK Student Information
- UK COE Spring Research Conference (2019 link, 2020 link) – annual spring conference where undergraduate and graduate students from UK, UofL, and UCinn can present research (posters or papers) in a friendly environment to help build their CVs. You can register to attend/present (internal deadline in late February) and the conference is usually held in March.
- Kentucky Psychological Association (KPA) Spring Academic Conference – annual spring conference where undergraduate and graduate students can present research (mostly posters) to help build their CVs
- Midwestern Psychological Association Annual Conference – annual spring conference where undergraduate and graduate students can present research (mostly posters) to help build their CVs and network with students and professors from various types of psychology programs
- Southeastern Psychological Association Annual Conference – annual spring conference where undergraduate and graduate students can present research (mostly posters) to help build their CVs and network with students and professors from various types of psychology programs
- National Multicultural Conference and Summit – annual winter conference where graduate students can present research (mostly posters) to help build their CVs and network with counseling psychologists and other allied professionals
- Great Lakes Regional Counseling Psychology Conference – annual spring conference that some counseling psychology faculty and students attend to present posters and symposia presentations, and to network with counseling psychologists
- American Psychological Association Annual Convention – annual august conference that many counseling psychology faculty and students attend to present posters and symposia presentations, and to network with counseling psychologists and other allied professionals
- EDP Student Block Funding Policy (revised 2/16/21) – Block Funding requests will be considered by EDP departmental leadership (Department Chair, Program Chairs, Director of Graduate Studies) for those EDP students 1) demonstrating financial hardship (to offset tuition, course and other related costs) and 2) desiring to participate in a virtual research conference and/or workshop registration (to assist students with dissertation research and/or professional development).
- UK Graduate Student Congress (GSC) Travel, Research, and Service Awards information
- UK Graduate School, Student Funding website – provides information on assistantships, fellowships, funding opportunities, and the UK Graduate School, Graduate School Incentive Program
- UK Tuition and Fees – look up the annual cost for graduate students who are either in or out of state
- UK Refunds – look up information about refund policies
- Assistantships – to learn more about research assistantships (RAs), teaching assistantships (TAs), and graduate assistantships (GAs) that are currently seeking to hire a graduate student, check https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/search frequently. Most assistantships for the next academic year are posted in the prior spring semester, though assistantships will continue to be posted in the summer and even the fall of that year (e.g., some positions don’t get funding approval until that same semester the assistant is supposed to start). Keep regularly checking ukjobs so that you can apply when desirable positions become available; deadlines for applying can be as short as two weeks. Additional assistantships (e.g., TA positions within EDP) will be announced via the program/department listserv you are on. It is common for our graduate students to be hired by campus units such as Academic Enhancement, Baptist Health, Department of Behavioral Science, Department of Psychology, Dean of Students Office, other College of Education departments (e.g., Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Department of Educational Policy Studies and Evaluation), Eastern State Hospital, Experiential Education, UK Graduate School, Health Sciences, Human Development Institute, Nursing Instruction, Student Affairs, etc.
- College of Education Scholarships/Fellowships – can be applied for via this link and a PDF list of scholarships for students including graduate students is at this link.
- UK Basic Needs Website – information about available campus supports related to food, housing, and money
Doctoral Program (PhD) Materials
- Counseling Psychology PhD Program Handbook (revised 8/31/21)
- Counseling Psychology PhD Program of Study (POS) (revised 8/13/21)
- Counseling Psychology PhD Course Waiver Form (revised 5/3/18)
- Counseling Psychology PhD Course Waiver Protocol (revised 4/23/21)
- Research Portfolio Guidelines (revised 9/14/18) and One-Page Evaluation Form
- Use this form to reserve a room in Dickey or Taylor for your Advisory Committee Meetings (e.g., Quals, Dissertation Defense)
- Annual Review Faculty Survey – completed by Major Professor via Qualtrics by referencing the Minimum Levels of Achievement listed on the Word Document version of the Survey; Major Professor will email PDF copy of Survey responses to each post-master’s student in late August.
- August Student Survey – completed by all post-bachelor and post-master’s PhD students via Qualtrics in August each year; Student will email PDF copy of Survey responses to Faculty Chair along with other supporting materials described in the Survey and Handbook. Here’s a Walkthrough Video to help familiarize you with the Survey.
- Doctorate (PhD) Program Aims, Competencies, and Knowledge (revised 5/2/18)
- UK Preparing Future Faculty Program – provides professional development guidance to graduate students who wish to explore or pursue a faculty career
- Student SharePoint Folder Advice
- MMPI-2 and MCMI-III Hand Scoring Guide (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – step-by-step video and PowerPoint guides for how to score these two assessment tests
Master’s Program (MS) Materials
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program Handbook for students entering Fall 2021 (coming August)
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program of Study (POS) for students entering Fall 2021 (revised 4-21-21)
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program Handbook for students entering Fall 2020 (revised 6-29-20)
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program of Study (POS) for students entering Fall 2020 (revised 6-23-20)
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program Handbook for students entering Fall 2019 (see Fall 2020 handbook)
- Counseling Psychology Master’s (MS) Program of Study (POS) for students entering Fall 2019 (revised 10/15/19)
- Final Examination for Master’s (FEM) Procedures (revised 3/12/21) – exam taken during March of final spring semester of MS program.
- MS in Counseling Psychology Survival Guide – guide written by past students with advice on how to approach your professional and personal life while a MS student in our program.
- What To Do During MS Program to be Ready to Apply for LPA in KY (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – video guide on how to prepare for pursuing licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA) and then later a Licensed Psychological Practitioner (LPP), for those thinking about this route.
- Practicum Guidelines (revised 7/21/21) – essential information all CP students must know about how to apply and succeed in practicum. Read this carefully in mid January.
- Practicum Site Rankings Form – submit your preferences for where you will complete practicum next year. Due by the first Monday of February (PhD) or March (MS) each year, if you are planning to do practicum at a community site.
- UK CP Practicum Site Encyclopedia (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – a curated database of agencies that UK CP students may be eligible to complete clinical practicum at.
- UK CP Student Feedback about Prac Sites (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – summarizes student feedback about the nature, pro’s, and con’s of their training experience at various practicum sites.
- UK CP Student Practicum at Eastern State Hospital, Special Instructions (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – provides instructions for what you must do once you have accepted an offer to complete practicum at Eastern State Hospital.
- Practicum Placements List (ask Dr. Hammer for password) – list of the sites where students are currently completing practicum. To be updated at the start of each semester by students.
- Why Hire UK Counseling Psychology Practicum Students – Practicum Site Supervisors & Training Directors interested in taking our practicum students should review this cost-benefit analysis of taking our practicum students.
- Video Explanation of Practicum Protocol & Paperwork – Dr. Hammer walks students through the procedures and documentation required to receive a passing practicum course grade.
- Practicum Hours Record – To keep track of your clinical hours during practicum, you have a few options. You can track your hours using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file (e.g.,Example 1), use the online tracking service Time2Track, or use an alternative online tracking platform such as PsyKey. See the instructions in your practicum syllabus for how to submit your Practicum Hours Record to your faculty practicum instructor. If you wish to get a doctorate and thus will need to apply for pre-doctoral internship, you will need to report your clinical hours in this way. Here’s some advice on counting practicum hours, APPIC definitions for classifying hours, and older APPIC intervention/assessment/supervision hours instructions.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (revised 7/29/21) – signed by the student and on-site individual clinical supervisor during their first supervision session of the semester. This ensures mutual transparency about trainee goals and the supervisory relationship. This MOU is NOT used/submitted by practicum students at UKCC because UKCC has its own MOU.
- Practicum Supervisor’s Evaluation of Student – online survey completed at the end of the semester by the on-site clinical supervisor(s) regarding the professional performance of their practicum supervisee. (You can download the paper version of this Evaluation to see what it looks like in advance, but the final evaluation must be submitted via online survey.) However, because UKCC/EKU uses a slightly different paper form version of this Evaluation, practicum students at these sites will need to enter the Final ratings and free-response feedback, word for word, into this online survey on behalf of their individual supervisor.
- Practicum Student Feedback about Site – online survey completed at the end of the semester by the practicum student. This data is used to create the UK CP Student Feedback about Prac Sites listed at the top of this Practicum Materials section.
- Language for use in our Practicum Syllabi (revised 7/21/21) – descriptions of practicum paperwork requirements (MOU, Hours, Evals) that will be included in EDP 664/665 practicum syllabi. These descriptions align with the latest revision of the Practicum Guidelines and program Handbooks.
PhD/MS Program Disclosure Information for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement
- State Authorization Disclosure: Per state laws, distance education courses and programs must be legally authorized in a state prior to offering courses or programs to students residing there. Therefore, program availability varies by state. Students should check the UK Out-of-State Educational Activities website to determine if a distance education program at the University of Kentucky is available in their state of residence.
- Student Relocation Disclosure: All distance education students should keep in mind that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether that student can continue in the course and/or meet the eligibility requirements of that state. If you plan to move to another state during your program, please contact your program advisor as soon as possible.
- Licensure Disclosure: States may have additional requirements for programs that lead to professional licensure or certification. If you plan to use the degree to seek licensure, you should also determine if the degree meets the educational requirements for licensure in your state. Visit the UK Out-of-State Educational Activities website to learn more about your program.
UK Counseling Psychology students and faculty can view the restricted files page, which is password protected. Please email Dr. Hammer to request the password. Here’s a sample of additional materials this restricted files page contains:
Research and Academic Focused
- Answering Nine Questions about Grad School Success (e.g., Mentoring)
- How to Relate to Counseling Psychology Faculty
- Research Presentation – Video Examples
- Sample 8-minute APA Symposium Paper Presentation
- List of Helpful Statistics, SPSS, and MPlus Tutorial Videos
- List of Research Skill Development Resources
- Counseling Psychology University Faculty Job Openings
- Additional videos and resources on various topics germane to counseling psychology can be found on Div17.org’s Webinar page.
- Intro to ORS and SRS for EDP 605 Students
- ORS SRS Administration, Discussing, Graphing: Step-by-Step Guide
- Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (CAMS) Suicide Assessment Tutorial – empirically supported approach to addressing clients at risk for suicide (3 video series)
- List of Counseling and Psychotherapy Demonstration Videos
- Applying for Psychologist Licensure in Kentucky
For PhD Students Specifically
- EDP Qualifying Exam Advice from Fall 2018 Cohort
- Mock PreDoctoral Psychology Internship Interview #1, with Feedback
- Mock PreDoctoral Psychology Internship Interview #2, with Feedback
- Internship Application Advice Panel 2018
For MS Students Specifically
- UK CP Doctoral Preparation Workshop (8/29/17) – Planning Your Master’s Years
- UK CP Doctoral Preparation Workshop (10/4/16) – Personal Statement and CV Advice
- Ask Dr. Hammer or Dr. Hargons for copies of Statements and CVs of successful applicants to doc programs
- UK CP Doctoral Preparation Workshop (11/29/16) – Interviewing Well
- Getting Into a PhD Program Advice
- Answering Questions about Master’s Training, Licensure, and Practice in KY
COVID-19 Related Resources
- KY Board of Examiners of Psychology Memos
- APPIC, APA, CPA, ASPPB Joint Statement 3/19/20
- APPIC COVID-19 Info 3/23/20
- APPIC COVID-19 Statement #2 3/31/20
- SCP/Div17 COVID-19 Resources
- APA CoA Accreditation Updates and Information
- APA COVID-19 Education FAQs
- APA’s Guidance on psychological tele-assessment during the COVID-19 crisis
- APA Pandemic Resources
- CCTS 3/23/20 Statement on Education and Training Considerations during COVID-19
- UK Graduate School COVID-19 Updates
- UK COVID General Homepage
Telehealth and Practice-Adjustment Focused Resources
Telehealth and Assessment Resources
- How to do psychological testing via telehealth https://www.apaservices.org/practice/reimbursement/health-codes/testing/psychological-telehealth?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=apa-pandemics&utm_content=telehealth-psych-testing&fbclid=IwAR1dmFOekRzfeytgVgUDItOV1v7X9h9fpoA9j2Gly3_bz9fQaVoc6SPRN3k