Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

Graduate Programs

The Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation Counseling at the University of Kentucky offers Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctoral degree programs. A student may have an Assistive and Rehabilitation Technology focus for any of these degrees.

Please contact Dr. Margaret Bausch if you have questions about the current offerings in the Assistive Technology Program.


University of Kentucky Assistive Technology (UKAT) Project

The University of Kentucky Assistive Technology (UKAT) Toolkit is a product of six years of assistive technology (AT) research conducted at the University of Kentucky in collaboration with six school districts in Kentucky. It provides a systematic method of delivering AT services to students in schools. It is based on two major premises:

  1. The first goal in special education is to improve a student’s ability to successfully function in schools, responding to the demands presented by the general curriculum and school environment; and
  2. No technology and low technology solutions should be considered before the high technology solutions.

The Toolkit systematically guides Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and AT teams in considering the use of AT from referral through implementation.



National Assistive Technology Research Institute (NATRI)

Learn more at the NATRI website.

Tuition and Fees

Questions about tuition should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.  More information about tuition and cost to attend can be found on the Registrar’s website.

Financial Aid

There are occasional opportunities for doctoral students to receive funding as Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, or via Scholarship funding. These announcements will be posted to the Student Advising Center on Canvas regularly. Students who are interested in more information about Financial Aid should contact the University of Kentucky’s Financial Aid Office at (859) 562-CATS (2287) or 128 Funkhouser Building, Lexington KY 40506. Please also check out for additional information.

State Authorization and Licensure

If you plan to complete a University of Kentucky online program while living outside of Kentucky, you should check the Out-of-State Students page to determine if the University of Kentucky is authorized to provide this program in your state of residence. If you plan to use the degree to seek licensure, you should also determine if the degree meets the educational requirements for licensure in your state.