After completion of a state-approved Educator Preparation Program, candidates will apply for a state-issued educator license. In most cases, this will include a Kentucky educator license (certificate).

Most candidates will need to have passed the state-mandated Praxis II exams before submitting their certification application packet (either in person or by mail) to the Teacher Certification Officer at Taylor Education Building, Room 166 (TEB166), Lexington, KY 40506-0001.

Candidates are reminded to verify what, if any, Praxis II exams are necessary for their certification area, on the ETS website.

The certification packet links on this page will open an application packet containing a checklist that outlines all of the necessary requirements for candidates to successfully complete the application process.

Once the application packet has been submitted to TEB166, the staff will process the application and submit it to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB).

In the case of out-of-state licenses, the process is essentially the same, except that the candidate will get the application materials from the appropriate standards board in the target state. Please see our Teacher Certification by State page for assistance.

Actual state licenses (certificates) are issued by the Kentucky EPSB or the professional licensing office in another state.

How to Apply

To apply for Kentucky state certification please complete the application and print single-sided only.

Requesting Transcripts

All candidates will need to request a copy of their UK transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse. When making this request, candidates should select that they wish to request that the transcript be sent to a “College or University.” When it asks you to Enter and Select the school you are sending your transcript to, you should enter “University of Kentucky.” You will then be asked what Department, and here you should select “Not in List.” It will then ask you whether you want to send the transcript electronically. You should select “Yes” and then enter the email:

Please print out the receipt that you receive for your transcript request and include it with the packet that you will submit to TEB 166.

Please note: When you request your UK transcript, if you have coursework that has not had grades posted for it and/or you are working on a degree that has not posted, you will need to request a hold being placed on the transcript request until those grades have been posted and/or until the degree has been posted. If you do not do this, then it is possible that you will have to re-request the transcript and pay the fee again.

If you have any questions or concerns about this part of the process, please contact Christopher Reese, at 859-257-4112 or

Completed application packets should be submitted to:

    Teacher Certification Officer
    Office of Program Documentation Accountability and Compliance
    166 Taylor Education Building
    College of Education
    Lexington, KY 40506-0001.

UK College of Education Teacher Certification Packet

Incomplete application materials will not be processed.