Meeting with an Advisor

Your academic advisor is here to support you as you work toward your degree in the College of Education. In accordance with the university’s commitment to the health and well-being of students and staff, your College of Education advisor will offer virtual advising until further notice. Physical office spaces are closed to in-person traffic at this time.

If you need to discuss your academic goals, major, class schedule, and more, start by contacting your assigned academic advisor by email. It is important that you use your UK email for this communication. If you have issues with your UK email or myUK, please call the IT HelpDesk at 859-218-HELP.

Virtual advising will be available during normal university operating hours through Zoom, phone, and email. Other modalities may be available. Let your advisor know what is most convenient for you. We will do our best to accommodate and support our students!


1. Who is my advisor?

Students are assigned an advisor based on their last name or major.

Kinesiology and Health Promotion Majors:
Clelia Smyth (students with last names A-E)
Angela Kim ( students with last names F-L)
Nate Hibbitts (students with last names M-R)
Stephen Erena (students with last names S-Z)

Secondary English, Secondary Social Studies and STEM Education Majors:
Bob Singleton (students with last names A-Z)

Interdisciplinary Disabilities Studies, Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Middle Level Education, Special Education, Undeclared/Exploratory:
Ryana Conway (students with last names A-G)
Lauren Joseph (students with last names H-O)
Jason Horger (students with last names P-Z)

If you have been admitted to a Teacher Education Program in a major other than Elementary Education, you will have to contact your faculty advisor via phone or email to set up an appointment.

2. When should I meet with an advisor?
Students are required to meet with their advisor in preparation for Priority Registration. However, students with academic concerns and procedural questions are welcome to request an advisor meeting. Students on academic probation may be required to meet with their advisor additional times during the semester.

3. What is an advisor hold?
The Registrar’s Office places registration “holds” on all student records each semester. Students must meet with their advisor each semester prior to registration so that the student’s program can be discussed and course recommendations can be made. These appointments generally occur in March/April (for summer and fall registration) and October/November (for spring registration). Once the advising meeting is held, the electronic hold is lifted and the student may register during their scheduling “window.”

4. How can I meet with an advisor if I’m not a current Education major?
If you are interested in meeting with an advisor but aren’t a current Education major at UK, please contact your prospective advisor listed above in Question 1. This applies to anyone interested in the undergraduate Education program, as well as the MIC program.

5. I am a current UK student who wants to switch my major into the College of Education. What do I need to do to change my major?

  • What You Need to Know: For students declaring or changing majors, you can only do so during certain times of the year. See the Academic Calendar for these approved dates. For students declaring or changing from one Education major to another, the period to change is always open.
  • What You Need to Do: To begin the major change process, log on to your myUKGPS. Under “My Program of Study” on the right side of the page, click the link “Request a major change” to fill out information in the link to begin the major change process. If you have any questions, please contact your assigned academic advisor.

6. I was recently admitted to the Teacher Education Program (TEP). How do I find out who my new advisor is?
Upon being admitted to TEP (Teacher Education Program), students from the following majors (IECE, Elementary Education, Special Education LBD & MSD, Middle School Education, Kinesiology and Health Promotion) are assigned a regular faculty advisor. The faculty advisor will be listed in the TEP acceptance letter and in myUK.

7. Are there any additional resources and services available on campus?
Yes! There are many resources available to students on campus such as Academic, Health and Wellness, Financial Wellness, plus much more. Please see our list of UK Campus Resources and Services to learn what resources are available to you. Your advisor can also assist you in identifying what services best fit your needs.