In response to increasing student demand, a large number of postsecondary institutions and agencies in public health, government and private business are developing distance learning programs. However, distance education requires a unique set of skills for course program development, management, support, and delivery.
To prepare current and future faculty and administrators, the University of Kentucky offers a graduate certificate in distance education. The Certificate is administered collaboratively by the Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation Counseling (EDSRC) and the Department of Curriculum and Instruction (EDC).
Who Should Apply?
- Graduate and Doctoral Students
- Distance Learning Administrators
- Teachers Developing Online Programs
- Government and Private Sector Employees
Benefits to You
- Earn course credit that can be applied to any graduate program
- Utilize a variety of technologies
- Analyze the research in the field of distance education delivery, management and support
- Design the framework for a higher education course using distance education technology
- Examine and evaluate existing distance education programs
- Identify key factors that are critical to the success of a distance education program
Q: How long does it take to get the Graduate Certificate?
A: You can complete the courses needed for the Certificate within a year if you wish. Some students choose to take the required 12 credits over a two year period.
Q: What does having a Distance Education Graduate Certificate mean?
A: Having the Certificate adds a marketable dimension to your skills and expertise in the area of distance education, which is constantly expanding and evolving. It provides you with appropriate credentials for the higher education environment of the 21st Century.
Q: How technologically savvy do I need to be before I start taking courses?
A: Students begin taking courses as part of the Distance Education Graduate Certificate with varying levels of technological skills. The experience you gain from your coursework will help you to enhance and expand those skills through online collaboration and communication with faculty and fellow students.