About UK STEM Experiences
The UK STEM Experiences is a collaboration among the UK Colleges of Education, Engineering, and Arts & Sciences. Our goal is to expose students to a variety positive learning experiences and career options in the STEM fields. Additionally, the summer experiences:
- Target rising elementary and middle grades students (grades 5-8) especially females, students of color, and students disinterested in STEM
- Provides authentic hands-on, engaging STEM learning environments on the University of Kentucky campus
- Provides opportunities for preservice teacher and graduate students from STEM disciplines assist with camp and gain valuable content knowledge and experience in an informal low-stakes environment
- Partner with area school Youth Service Coordinators to recruit and retain underrepresented populations
- Area preservice and inservice teachers assist with the camp gaining valuable STEM laboratory experience and ideas that they can incorporate into their own classrooms
The week-long day camps are designed to help students explore and integrate the STEM disciplines through authentic hands-on projects and real world applications.
Read more about their STEM Camp adventures at www.margaretmohrschroeder.com.
To volunteer or work at any of our camps, please contact Dr. Margaret Mohr-Schroeder – firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Info for All Camps
**Important: All camps are now on a waitlist except for the following: ChemCamp and Drone Camp.
In-Person Camps (COVID-19 Protocols will be followed as applicable)
Where: University of Kentucky Campus
Dates: See Dates and Times below.
Time: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day (extended day available)
Lunch & Snacks: Provided for each participant
Cost: $275 for all camps (Financial Assistance is available.)
All participants will receive a T-shirt, water bottle & bag.Register!
Virtual STEM Camp
Where: Zoom and Google Classroom
Dates: June 20 – July 1 (Elementary M-W-F; Middle T-Th-F)
Time: 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. ET/ 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. CT / 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. MT / 10 a.m. – noon PT
Cost: $25 for both weeks (Financial Assistance is available.)
Supplies Needed: Household materials – a supply list will be sent after registration. Families are encouraged to substitute and be creative with their substitutions.Register!
Dates & Times
Incoming grades: 2 – 4 for Fall 2022
Dates: June 6 – 10, 2022 or June 13 – 17, 2022
Incoming grades: 5 – 8 for Fall 2022
Dates: June 6 – 10, 2022 or June 13 – 17, 2022
Lego Robotics Camp: May 31 – June 3, 2022 – grades 2 – 8 for Fall 2022
Vex Robotics Camp: June 6 – 10, 2022 (focus on building and beginning coding) and June 13 – 17, 2022 (focus on coding and advanced coding) – grades 5 – 8 for Fall 2022
Incoming grades: 9 – 12 for Fall 2022
Drone Camp: May 31 – June 3, 2022 (focus on coding and flying indoor drones!)
ChemCamp: June 13 – 17, 2022 (no prior chemistry knowledge, love or experience required!)
STEM Camp is for those who are looking to have positive, hands-on experience with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics content. The curriculum focuses on authentic investigations in real STEM settings with STEM professors and their research topics as well as daily computer programming experience through robotics. No prior STEM, programming experience or love for STEM required!
Vex Robotics Camp
The Robotics Camp will extend the curriculum of the See Blue STEM Camp to provide enhanced instruction in building and programming robots. This camp will focus on VEX robots. Students will use sensors and coding to complete challenges and compete against their peers. Students should have a basic understanding of LEGO robotics or VEX robots to enroll.
Lego Robotics Camp
The Lego Robotics Camp will extend the curriculum of the See Blue STEM Camp to provide enhanced instruction in building and programming robots. This camp will focus on Lego robots. Students will use sensors and coding to complete challenges and compete against their peers. Students do not need any prior experience with Lego Robotics. We will group students appropriately to ensure it is challenging for them.
The ChemCamp is for incoming 9th – 12th graders who are interested in a chemistry laboratory experience, especially those who don’t have access to laboratories in their schooling. The curriculum will focus on investigative lab experiences meant to extend the high school chemistry experience and expose students to the laboratories and STEM experiences on UK’s campus. No prior chemistry experience is necessary!
See Blue STEM Camp in the News!
- UK NEXT (A COE alumni publication), 2015
- Provost Riordan’s Blog Post on UK’s Impact in the summer on learning, 2014
- UK’s College of Education Impact on Kentucky Education, 2014
- Stem Camp Article by Jenny Wells, Hands-On Activities, 2014.
- Knox County Students Participate in 2013 See Blue STEM Camp!
- 2012 STEM Camp – UKNow