The University of Kentucky Department of Kinesiology and Health Promotion offers a Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching. Health Coaching has been defined as, “…the practice of health education and health promotion within a coaching context, to enhance the wellbeing of individuals and to facilitate the achievement of their health-related goals.” The aim of the Graduate Certificate curriculum is to provide a foundation in current behavior change theories/models, motivational interviewing, as well as understanding of current health issues.
Students may complete the certificate as a complement to a graduate disciplinary degree program or as a stand-alone curriculum. Students who are currently enrolled as a graduate student in a department at the University of Kentucky are encouraged to apply for the Health Coaching Graduate Certificate program early in their graduate studies.
Applications are accepted throughout the year and are considered on a rolling admission basis.
Note for current M.S. Health Promotion students: Students who are enrolled in the M.S. in Health Promotion program are eligible to count up to 9 credit hours from their program, requiring them to take six additional credit hours (on top of their M.S. curriculum) to complete the graduate certificate.
- be able to identify and apply theories and models specific to health education, health promotion, and health behavior change.
- be able to apply health promotion philosophical principles to their health-coaching career.
- have the skills required to be an effective health coach with a basis in health education and health promotion behavior change.
- participate in practical application of skills, culminating with an internship experience in the field of health coaching.
Admission Requirements and Application Procedures
Admission to the Health Coaching Graduate Certificate curriculum requires the following:
- an undergraduate degree
- admission to the University of Kentucky Graduate School**
- a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all undergraduate work
- minimum GPA of 3.0 in any graduate work
- a personal statement (500 word maximum), explaining why the applicant wishes to pursue the Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching
- names and contact information for three references
- official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- completion of the certificate application form