Application for Admission
You will apply to our program through the University of Kentucky Graduate School. Please note: GRE scores are not required for admission to any of EPE’s Degree Programs.
Your completed application will contain the following documents:
- Program Application: Go to Graduate School Application Portal
- Personal Statement: A personal/professional statement is very important to your application. The admissions committee is interested in determining how well your personal goals “fit” with what our department can offer. Doctoral candidates should also outline goals for research in the doctoral program. These statements should be less than 500 words.
- Writing Sample (Doctoral Students only): Your writing sample helps us assess whether your writing skills are up to the challenge of graduate coursework in our department. We like to see samples that show your ability to analyze a problem, develop a thesis, and work with primary and/or secondary sources. Thus an academic paper or article is often the best choice, but some professional writing would also be acceptable if it includes evidence of these critical writing skills. Contact the Director of Graduate Studies if you would like to write an essay specifically for your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Your recommendations help us determine the likelihood of success in graduate school and confirm your description of your goals for study. Thus your recommenders should know you well, and at least half of your letters should come from people who know your academic work (or at least your writing and analysis skills). You will be asked for your recommender’s email address as a step in the application portal. If email is not an option, you may ask your recommenders to send written letters directly to the department via postal mail.
- Transcript(s): You must submit all transcripts directly from your prior institutions to our Graduate School. You may upload non-certified copies as placeholder for review, but official copies must be received for admission.
- CV (optional): Please include work history, any certifications/licensures, publications and research, and hobbies or special interests.
Higher Education Programs (SHED & HIED)
- Spring: October 1
- Summer/Fall: February 1
All Other Programs
The Research Methods in Education (RMinE) and Educational Policy Studies Master’s degree programs do not follow the above application deadlines. They and all our Graduate Certificate programs operate on rolling admission. Apply any time.
Prospective International Students
International applicants have different deadlines and requirements than their domestic counterparts. To learn more, visit the Graduate School’s website. For further information, look at the prospective student resources provided by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).