What is PIMSER?
The Partnership for Math and Science Education Reform (PIMSER) provides high-quality training and support for improvements in mathematics and science education that is responsive to the needs of educators at all levels. Since 2005, PIMSER has provided professional learning services for over 8,400 teachers and administrators across Kentucky. We provide ongoing professional development that models research based practices for classroom teachers, instructional coaches, principals, district and university administrators, university instructors, and state level education consultants.
Through these multi-tiered partnerships at the local, state and even national level, PIMSER has positioned itself at the forefront of the changing educational landscape, providing the network model for KY Senate Bill 1 and statewide training on assessment literacy. The dedication of our staff to improving educational practices has made PIMSER a branded name in Kentucky school districts and is synonymous with quality services.
PIMSER was developed to continue the quality partnerships and outreach activities created through the work of two National Science Foundation grants: the Appalachian Rural Systems Initiative (ARSI) and the Appalachian Mathematics and Science Partnership (AMSP). Through these grants and the Master Teacher Project supplement from NSF, PIMSER developed 20 Master Teachers/Regional Teacher Partners who provide expertise for math and science improvement across the state by partnering with research scientists and science educators, teachers, and administrators to design and deliver effective professional learning.
View the impact that PIMSER has had on state educational reform from 2005-2015.
Our mission is to support the advancement of math and science education throughout the commonwealth.
PIMSER partners with several local and state educational organizations.
University of Kentucky STEM Department
Eastern Kentucky University
University of Pikeville
Morehead State University
University of Louisville
Western Kentucky University
Central Kentucky Special Education Cooperative
Kentucky Valley Education Cooperative
Kentucky Educational Development Corporation
Kentucky Department of Education
Council on Postsecondary Education
Kentucky Science Teachers Association
Kentucky Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Kentucky Center for Mathematics
PIMSER is available to provide ongoing support services throughout the Commonwealth to improve teacher practice and ultimately impact student achievement in mathematics and science. Our Regional Teacher Partners design targeted professional learning experiences, backed by research-based best practices, tailored to the needs of your school or district.
PIMSER has been on the leading edge of the rollout of the Next Generation Science Standards/KCAS in Science and has provided training to over 2,300 teachers from 129 districts and organizations since 2012. Examples of NGSS implementation support we can provide include:
- Short Courses
- Introduction to the NGSS
- Integrating Engineering and Practices into Units of Study
- Unit development for 3-dimensional teaching
- Project Based Learning as a framework for NGSS implementation
- Assessment design
- Literacy integration in the science classroom using the Literacy Design Collaborative model
PIMSER has long supported mathematics educators across the state, creating the model for the Math Leadership Support Network managed by the Kentucky Department of Education to roll out the KCAS in Mathematics starting in 2010. We continue to provide KCAS implementation assistance to schools and districts, such as:
- Games for elementary that integrate the mathematical practices
- Discourse in the mathematics classroom: how to engage in productive talk
- Teaching fractions for conceptual understanding in the intermediate grades
- Using the number line
- Number sense in the primary grades
- Effective use of manipulatives to promote student understanding
- How Students Learn Mathematics
- Mathematical Practices in the elementary, middle and high school classroom
- Use of technology to support teaching and learning
Leadership and Other Content Areas
The programs that PIMSER provides follow a model of working with both teachers and administrators to create an infrastructure within the school and district to support change and leave behind the capacities to sustain reform. Our Regional Teacher Partners are expertly trained in areas that can support administrators and teachers of any content, including:
- PGES support: establishing an effective classroom environment
- New teacher support for STEM teachers
- Formative assessment action research teams
- Assessment literacy
- Engagement strategies for the K-12 classroom
- Mathematics and Science Teaching and Learning School Profiles
- Planning and facilitation of local ongoing math or science cadre meetings
- Long-range professional learning planning for mathematics and science improvement
- Joint classroom observations with feedback to teachers
- Analysis of math and science data for school level program improvement
Map & Location
PIMSER is located at 1737 Russell Cave Rd, Lexington, KY 40505, near the Public Library. Get Directions.
Join the PIMSER Network!
Are you interested in what PIMSER is doing, but not currently involved in our networks or workshops? Would you like to know more about the professional development, leadership support, and workshop opportunities that we offer? Join our network listserv to begin receiving the latest information on PIMSER event offerings and news!
Join the listserv by entering your information below.