Q: How many students are accepted?

A: In a given admission cycle, the number we accept will depend on how many students are applying to a particular area of study and how this matches with our faculty resources.

Q: I’d like to get started early. Does your department allow post-baccalaureate (POBA) students to take EPE classes?

A: Yes, we allow POBA students to enroll in most of our courses with the exception of the EPE 601 “Proseminar.” Occasionally, we will restrict POBA enrollment in classes to assure seats for our incoming students.

Q: I’d like to start in the summer. Are new students able to start in the summer?

A: Yes, we do allow new students to apply for and enroll in the summer sessions. UK divides the summer into two “sessions” or semesters. Summer I usually begins around the second week of May and lasts until the second week of June. It is often referred to as the “four-week intersession.” The “eight-week intersession,” or Summer II, starts the second week of June and continues through the first week of August. For specific dates and more information, you may visit the current University calendar HERE.

Although we do allow new students to enroll in summer courses, please be aware that, due to their short duration, summer courses may meet more frequently and for longer periods of time than traditional fall or spring courses. Instructors pack all of the concepts taught and assignments given in a regular 16-week course into a shorter span, meaning that you will be expected to pack all of the work you would normally complete over 16 weeks into that short span as well. Also, most departments only offer a handful of courses over the summer, and as a new student, you wouldn’t be able to register for summer courses until the day before they begin.

Keeping the above in mind, if you do apply to start in one of the summer sessions but decide that you would prefer to push your application to the fall, we ask that you let us know ASAP! Notify the DGS and student services assistant of this well in advance of your start date so that they can update your records with the Graduate School.

Q: Do you have minimum requirements for GRE scores? Do you have minimum requirements for undergraduate or graduate GPAs?

A: We require that all prospective students submit GRE scores as part of their application. We do not have a minimum for test scores, undergraduate GPAs, or graduate GPAs. We consider the complete application, especially evidence of critical reading, writing, and analytic abilities, as well as indications of commitment to completing the degree and potential for excellence in the field.

Q: I have not yet taken the GRE, or I took the GRE a long time ago.

A: We will accept any official GRE scores regardless of date. If ETS no longer has the scores on file, the Graduate School will accept scores sent DIRECTLY to them from another institution. They must be verified by that institution (for example, on university letterhead with an official signature). If you had scores sent to UK as part of a prior application, they may still be on file, but you will need to confirm this with the Graduate School.

Q: How long/how many credit hours are required? What courses are required?

A: Our master’s programs in higher education and social and philosophical studies require 31 credit hours of coursework, including internship credit if applicable. Our MS in Research Methods in Education requires 37 credit hours of work. Requirements for all master’s degrees include the EPE 601 “Proseminar” (1 credit hour) to orient you to the department and at least 3 credit hours of inquiry-based coursework.

Both our doctoral programs and the college PhD in Ed Sciences are typically 43 credit hours. This includes 9-15 credit hours of inquiry-based coursework, at least six hours outside the College of Education, and a program of study organized around the student’s topical and conceptual interests. Doctoral program plans, including the final number of credit hours required for degree, must be approved by the student’s Doctoral Advisory Committee. Doctoral students are also required to take the EPE 601 “Proseminar” (1 credit hour). All doctoral students are required to register for EPE 767 “Dissertation Residency Credit” for two credit hours per semester until the successful defense of their dissertations. Enrollment in EPE 767 begins upon successful completion of the Qualifying Examination.

Up to nine credit hours of graduate coursework not previously applied to a prior degree may be transferred into any of our degree programs at the discretion of the student’s Master’s or Doctoral Advisory Committee.

Q: I have credits earned at another institution (or another UK program). Will I be able to transfer my prior coursework?

A: The University of Kentucky allows graduate students to transfer up to nine hours into their program of study with the approval of their advisory committee. Which courses will transfer and how many credit hours will transfer cannot be determined prior to admission, but because our programs are individually designed, students are often able to transfer prior credit that is reasonably related to their current program interests. Credits received as part of the program of study for a previously received graduate degree are not eligible for transfer.

Q: How many hours are considered full-time? Can I pursue my degree part-time?

A: A load of nine credit hours is considered full-time by the University of Kentucky Graduate School. Enrollment in more than 12 hours per semester requires the permission of the Director of Graduate Studies. Most of our students, however, are employed full-time and working on their degrees part-time. Part-time students typically take one or two courses (3-6 hours) a semester.

Q: Will your class schedule fit my work/family schedule?

A: Most EPE courses are offered in the late afternoon or evening (4-6:30pm or 7-9:30pm). Other department courses are offered during lunch hours, which can be convenient for students working in Lexington. EPE courses are also offered during the summer intersessions. Occasionally, courses are offered via distance education (online) or in a weekend hybrid model.

Q: How much will it cost?

A: Current tuition rates and fees can be found HERE. All questions regarding tuition and fees should be addressed to Student Account Services.

Q: What kind of funding support is available?

A: The department assists students in finding funding, but does not promise funding to all admitted students. There is an array of assistantship opportunities in the department and across the university. EPE students do not have to work only in the department; in fact, we encourage diverse experience. Assistantships at UK typically include tuition, a stipend, and graduate student health insurance, but this varies across departments and according to funding source.

EPE currently offers teaching assistantships (TAs) in EPE 301 “Education and American Culture.” Some of our students also assist in the teaching of EPE/EDP 557 “Gathering and Analyzing Educational Data.”

Typically, at least two students per semester are working with faculty members as research assistants (RAs), but this varies according to faculty needs. EPE students have been successful in securing research assistantships in other departments in the College of Education as well.

Moreover, our students are successful at earning graduate fellowships such as the Lyman T. Johnson Fellowship and SREB awards. Our students also regularly win scholarship competitions for additional support.

Students with an interest in academic or student affairs may be interested in Graduate Assistantships (GAs). Our department has an agreement with the Division of Student Affairs to place students in units across campus to increase professional development opportunities. These placements can include student leadership, residential life, athletics, etc. Our students have been successful at finding positions in Academic Enhancement/Transformative Learning and Institutional Research.

More information about University-wide fellowship opportunities is available at http://gradschool.uky.edu/fellowships-0.

A complete listing of opportunities will be sent to students after admission. Students are responsible for contacting hiring departments directly for information about the assistantships and application procedures.

Q: I want to defer my application/admission. What steps do I need to take?

A: Let the DGS and student services assistant know via email that you would like to defer (a written request is needed for our records). They can facilitate the process with the Graduate School. It is imperative that you notify us before the date in which you are set to begin your studies, as the system will mark you as a “no-show” if you don’t register for courses that semester—meaning that you will be required to apply (and pay the application fee) again! Moreover, you are only allowed to defer your application/admission once per application. If you need to push your start date back again, you must reapply. The department will review your application again, and your admission would not be guaranteed just because your first application was accepted.