This nine-hour, fully online Graduate Certificate in Senior Diversity Officer Leadership prepares students for high-level administrative positions in diversity, equity, and inclusiveness leadership in higher education settings.
Why You Should Enroll
Colleges and universities across the nation are seeking leaders to serve as change agents, bringing innovation, creativity, and high-level strategic thinking to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness roles on their campuses.
This graduate certificate is designed to inspire and equip students for innovative, high-level strategic thinking in diversity, equity, and inclusion roles in higher education and related settings.
A significant feature of the Graduate Certificate and new Ph.D. Specialization in Diversity Equity and Inclusion will be the opportunity to network and build mentoring relationships with senior diversity officers active in the field. Through partnerships with INSIGHT into Diversity Magazine, the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education, and the UK College of Education’s Education and Civil Rights Initiative in collaboration with the NAACP, students will build a network of connections and mentored relationships to assure success in their careers.
Delivery Method: Fully online
Credit Hours: 9
Tuition Cost: Refer to Credit Hour Rates for Graduate Students on the UK Tuition and Mandatory Fees page.
Refund Policies: You can find tuition refund policies, deadlines, amounts, and other important information on the UK Student Account Services website.
The program requires students to complete two newly created courses (6 hours) in higher education diversity leadership. The development of these courses is focused on the unique competencies needed to be an effective senior diversity officer. Students will also complete one guided elective course in organizational leadership from a pre-existing selection in the Department of Educational Leadership.
The schedule of classes for planning your program can be found here. The offering history will show when courses are offered.
- EDL 701 Leadership in Educational Organizations: A study of leadership with particular emphasis on understanding the nature, defining characteristics, responsibilities, contextual determinants, and importance of leadership within educational organizations.
- EDL 702 Leadership for Organizational Learning: This course examines theories associated with organizational learning and change processes that can be used by leaders of 21st century educational systems. Theories are then used to examine prevailing practices within organizations and to inform the development of action plans appropriate for improved organizational performance.
- EDL 703 Leading Organizational Change: This course focuses on understanding the field of organizational change as well as emphasizing the nature, characteristics, responsibilities, and contextual determinants that influence a leader’s role in changing educational organizations.
You will apply to our program through the University of Kentucky Graduate School. (Please note: GRE scores are not required for admission to any of EPE’s Degree Programs.)
- Personal Statement: A narrative statement that highlights your career progression to present and identifies how your professional experience relates to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( 3-4 pages). Also identify how you plan to use this degree and certificate.
- DEI Essay: Answer the question “ Why is Diversity a compelling interest in Education or related field. (2-3 pages)
- Two letters of recommendation
- At the request of program faculty, an interview (via phone or zoom) may be required.
NOTE: Rolling Admission up to May 1st for Fall and up to November 1st for Spring.I'm Ready to Apply
Feel free to contact us with any questions you might have regarding this program. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Return to EPE Home