The University of Kentucky Athletics Association recently held its 12th Annual Catspy Awards during which it handed out 35 trophies to its student-athletes and sports teams honoring athletic and academic performances during the 2013-2014 year. Included in those being honored were five UK College of Education students.
Representing the College of Education were:
- Micheal Thomas (kinesiology), Baseball, Scratch Award
- Griffin Joiner (kinesiology), Softball, Supporting Role
- Jennifer O’Neill (kinesiology), Basketball, Female Performance of the Year
- Connor Davis (kinesiology), Rifle, Male Performance of the Year
- Max Godby (kinesiology), Football, Community Service Award
The CATSPY Awards were introduced at UK in 2003, when athletics director Mitch Barnhart shared his desire to celebrate and honor the academic, athletic and community excellence achieved by all UK student-athletes. It was emulated from the well-known ESPY Awards. This annual event has become the highlight and finale of each academic year and features student-athletes from all 22 sports.
Special thanks to UK Athletics for contributing to this story.