- A minimum 2.75 overall or 3.0 GPA in the last 30 credit hours is required.
- Passing scores on one of the following exams within the past five years:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators – Reading, Writing, and Mathematics: (Registration and score information)
- Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) – prior to September 1, 2014 (Minimum Reading Score: 176, Minimum Writing Score: 174, Minimum Mathematics Score: 174)
When you register for exams, please send your scores to 7283 (Education Professional Standards Board) and R 1837 (University of Kentucky).
The following prerequisite courses are required:
- EDS 513: Legal Issues in Special Education
- EDS 516: Principles of Behavior Management and Instruction
- EDS 547: Collaboration and Inclusion in School and Community Settings
- EDS 600: Survey of Special Education
- EDC 533: Teaching Literacy Across Disciplines
- Teaching Mathematics
- Child Development
There is no limit on the number of prerequisite courses that may be transferred in from previous degrees, however all new coursework is expected to occur at the University of Kentucky unless there is an extenuating circumstance (i.e. time conflict with another course). Permission from the Visual Impairment Program Faculty chair must be obtained prior to enrollment for courses to transfer. All transfer credit grades must be a minimum of a B or equivalent.
Prerequisite courses do not need to be completed prior to starting the program, however a recommendation for certification in visual impairments will not be made to EPSB until all courses have been successful completed.
Candidates wishing to begin taking prerequisites now may view the schedule of classes at the UK Registrar’s website.
Practicum/Student Teaching Requirements
Each semester coursework includes practicum experiences consisting of a minimum of 40 hours a semester working with children who are blind and visually impaired. Summer practicum consists of a minimum of 80 hours. Please be sure you can meet this requirement prior to applying to the program. All candidates must complete 200 hours or practicum prior to student teaching. Student teaching consists of 70 days of full-time teaching under a certificated TVI. The Visual Impairment Program Faculty Chair will strive to place all candidates within a reasonable distance from their home.
Total Credit Hours (not including prerequisite courses): 39
All graduate programs have been approved by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB).