- A minimum 2.75 overall or 3.0 GPA in the last 30 credit hours is required.
- Completed CA-TP paperwork from a Kentucky school district applying for a Temporary Provisional VI certificate
- Signed mentoring agreement between UK and school district
- Demonstration of successful teaching experiences and/or experience working with the blind and visually impaired (minimum of one below):
- Student teaching portfolio (if KTIP has not been completed)
- KTIP portfolio (if completed in the past 3 years)
- 3 artifacts of successful teaching (for those with more than three years teaching experience)
- 2 artifacts demonstrating successful experience working with the blind and visually impaired
- Passing scores on one of the following exams within the past five years:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators – Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (Registration and score information)
- Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) – prior to September 1, 2014 (Minimum Reading Score: 176, Minimum Writing Score: 174, Minimum Mathematics Score: 174)GRE
When you register for exams, please send your scores to 7283 (Education Professional Standards Board) and R 1837 (University of Kentucky)
The following prerequisite courses are required:
- EDS 513: Legal Issues in Special Education
- EDS 516: Principles of Behavior Management and Instruction
- EDS 547: Collaboration and Inclusion in School and Community Settings
- EDS 600: Survey of Special Education
- EDC 533: Teaching Literacy Across Disciplines
- Teaching Mathematics
- Child Development
There is no limit on the number of prerequisite courses that may be transferred in from previous degrees, however all new coursework is expected to occur at the University of Kentucky unless there is an extenuating circumstance (i.e. time conflict with another course). Permission from the Visual Impairment Program Faculty chair must be obtained prior to enrollment for courses to transfer. All transfer credit grades must be a minimum of a B or equivalent.
A minimum of four courses, including prerequisite courses, must be completed prior to starting the program. The remaining courses must be taken within three years of starting the program, however a recommendation for certification in visual impairments will not be made to EPSB until all courses have been successful completed.
Candidates wishing to begin taking prerequisites now may view the schedule of classes at the UK Registrar’s website.
Practicum/Field Experience Requirements
Each semester coursework includes practicum experiences consisting of a minimum of 15 hours a semester working with children who are blind and visually impaired. Summer practicum consists of a minimum of 75 hours.
A 40 day culminating field experience is completed during the last semester of the program. Candidates may complete practicum and field experience on the job pending all program requirements can be met. Candidates whose caseload are not diverse enough may be required to complete outside activities.
Total Credit Hours (not including prerequisite courses): 33
All graduate programs have been approved by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB).