Leads to Kentucky Teacher Rank Change.
This program meets the continuing education requirement for teachers who currently hold a Rank III teaching certificate. An additional master’s degree will NOT be required to obtain a Rank II teaching certificate. Teachers who currently hold a Rank II will be eligible to earn a Rank I teaching certificate upon successful completion of all requirements.
- A minimum 2.75 overall or 3.0 GPA in the last 30 credit hours is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in education with a valid teaching certificate
- Demonstration of successful teaching experiences:
- Student teaching portfolio (if KTIP has not been completed)
- KTIP portfolio (if completed in the past 3 years)
- 3 artifacts of successful teaching (for those with more than three years teaching experience)
The following prerequisite courses are required:
- EDS 513: Legal Issues in Special Education
- EDS 516: Principles of Behavior Management and Instruction
- EDS 547: Collaboration and Inclusion in School and Community Settings
- EDS 600: Survey of Special Education
There is no limit on the number of prerequisite courses that may be transferred in from previous degrees, however all new coursework is expected to occur at the University of Kentucky unless there is an extenuating circumstance (i.e. time conflict with another course). Permission from the Visual Impairment Program Faculty chair must be obtained prior to enrollment for courses to transfer. All transfer credit grades must be a minimum of a B or equivalent.
Prerequisite courses do not need to be completed prior to starting the program, however a recommendation for certification in visual impairments will not be made to EPSB until all courses have been successful completed.
Candidates wishing to begin taking prerequisites now may view the schedule of classes at the UK Registrar’s website.
Practicum/Field Experience Requirements
Each semester coursework includes practicum experiences consisting of a minimum of 15 hours a semester working with children who are blind and visually impaired. Summer practicum consists of a minimum of 75 hours. A 40 day culminating field experience is completed during the last semester of the program. Please be sure you can meet this requirement prior to applying to the program. Field experience may be delayed up to one calendar year.
Total Credit Hours (not including prerequisite courses): 33
All graduate programs have been approved by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB).