Home » News » Q&A with Special Education Doctoral Student Megan Jones

Q&A with Special Education Doctoral Student Megan Jones

photo of doctoral student Megan Jones
Megan Jones

Q&A with Megan Jones, special education doctoral student in the University of Kentucky College of Education Department of Early Childhood, Special Education, and Rehabilitation Counseling.

What has been your best experience at UK?

My favorite experience has been working as a grant assistant on an Institute of Education Sciences grant led by Dr. Brian Bottge and Dr. Linda Gassaway. I started my dissertation data collection this month in the school systems. It was not until I started running my own study that I realized how well prepared I was to conduct my own research. For four years I participated in a study that taught me how to best communicate to schools and teachers and organize my work. It also taught me how to analyze data and create a meaningful curriculum that would impact students. Not only did I learn a lot from an incredibly productive team, but we were also able to have a lot of fun over the years, creating a very enjoyable experience.

What has been your favorite course?

My favorite courses were Dr. Alan Allday’s EDS 602 and Dr. Justin Lane’s EDS 605. Both classes allowed us to go into schools to practice content with students under our professor’s supervision. I taught in the school system for five years, but it was still fun to immediately implement new content about behavioral interventions and early childhood language interventions.

Describe your research.

My research examines the effect of a video-based career assessment curriculum on students’ career assessment knowledge and beliefs. In this curriculum, students will 1) explore their pre-existing beliefs regarding future goals, 2) research a best fit career path, 3) complete a professional resume and 4) interview with local business men and women. This is so important because the research and my own professional experience working with high school students indicate that many students are not prepared for post-graduation life.