Home » News » Q&A With Dr. Sally Shepley

Q&A With Dr. Sally Shepley

photo of Dr. Sally Shepley
Dr. Sally Shepley

Q&A with Dr. Sally Shepley, assistant professor of special education in the University of Kentucky College of Education Department of Early Childhood, Special Education, and Rehabilitation Counseling.

What has been your best experience at UK?

Working alongside faculty who not only are charismatic and friendly people but challenge me academically. My colleagues of all academic ranks are consistently publishing, applying for grants, and updating their teaching methodologies – all of which push me to ensure I am maintaining the rigor established in this department.

What is your favorite course to teach?

EDS 601- Applied Behavior Analysis – This is the introductory graduate course in Applied Behavior Analysis – a science that defines the way in which I view all behavior. I enjoy taking this dense and often misunderstood science and applying it to concepts in students’ everyday lives.

Describe your research.

My research line is aimed at finding ways to use technology that all people rely on (i.e., smart phones, watches, tablets) as a means to teach individuals with intellectual disability to solve their own problems, access any needed prompts they need to complete presented tasks (such as finding directions or video tutorials on their phones), and self-manage their lives (calendars, to do lists, reminders). If we can teach an individual to rely on technology, instead of an additional person, they will be more independent, thus increasing their success in post-school environments.