- EDL’s YouTube channel contains brief advising videos on choosing an advisor, qualifying exams, and other important topics:
- EDL Graduate Student Handbook – valuable information about your program of study in the Department of Educational Leadership Studies
- Choosing An Advanced Quantitative Methods Elective for Ph.D. students)
- Recommended Books
- Students: How to email to your Professor, employer, and professional peers
- 18 Etiquette Tips for E-mailing Your Professor
- EDL on Tumblr – bookmark for news that’s important to graduate students in the program
- EDL on Twitter – follow our department on Twitter for important news and events you may not learn of elsewhere
- EDL on Google+ – Please +1 our page and follow posts from faculty, colleagues and other figures in educational leadership
- Graduate School Listserv – The Graduate School sends out reminders about important dates such as that for applying to graduate as well as information that is relevant to you as a graduate student.
- Department Listservs – There are also several listservs that are program specific. “EDLDOCTORAL” is for doc students. “EDLMED” is for masters and education specialist, and “EDLTEACHLEAD” is for those in the teacher leadership program.
New Student Information
- List of Courses
- Link Blue – UK’s online data management system for students and employees
- Free Software Downloads – Free access for UK students
- University of Kentucky Academic Calendar – Know all deadlines for your program
- College of Education Library
- Department Presentation Scholarship
- Current Educational Leadership Studies Assistantships – When available, departmental teaching assistantships and research assistantships will be listed here. Unfortunately, none specific to EDL are available at this time.
- College of Education Graduate Student Support – links to scholarships, assistantships and fellowships, job opportunities, tuition waivers for cooperating teachers, and professional travel support.
- Tuition Waivers for Career and Tech Teachers – Do you believe you qualify for a tuition waiver for career and tech teachers which entitles you to 6 credit per semester at any state institution? Students who qualify should complete the Non UK EEP form.
- Funding is available for travel. The application deadline the 15th of every month.
- Student Funding site – UK Graduate School
Navigating Your Graduate School Experience
- Resources For Grad Students – from the UK Graduate School
- Tutorial on how to organize your citations and reference material – including directly importing into EndNote from online repositories. By one of our students, Kevin Dunn.
- Tips on library access
- EndNote and a primer on Dropbox.
Resources for the Dissertation
- Department Guidelines
- Recommended Books
- University Guidelines
- University of Kentucky: Official Guide on the Preparation of Theses and Dissertations
- Electronic Thesis and Dissertation submission guide – Simple and easy to follow, this will save you much stress and worry as you work to finalize their degree.
- Site created especially to help students find the right ETD collections for their submissions
- Doctoral degree candidate form
- Masters & Specialist degree forms
- All other current forms for students
Leaves of Absence
Effective fall 2009, if you are an enrolled graduate student at the University of Kentucky and you sit out for one or more semesters you will need to complete a new application and pay the application fee in order to be considered for readmission. In many instances you can avoid this requirement by requesting a “leave of absence”. In addition to avoiding the application process, this status will allow you to priority register in preparation for your return.
Procedurally, you should contact your Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) to seek approval for the leave prior to the beginning of the semester in question*.
- Ed.D. and Ed.S. and M.Ed. and Graduate Certificate students contact Dr. Justin Bathon.
- Ph.D. students contact Dr. Margaret Bausch.
If approved, the DGS will contact your Graduate School admissions officer who will modify your record accordingly. IMPORTANT: You may request no more than two consecutive and four total semesters in leave of absence status. Post-qualifying doctoral students are not eligible for the leave of absence.
International students considering a leave of absence are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans with the UK International Center (formerly the Office of International Affairs), Department of Immigration Services prior to making a formal request.
*Post baccalaureate students who need to request a leave of absence should contact their admissions officer directly.
Distance Learning Resources
Headsets for Video and Audio Conferences Online; Distance Learning Sessions
Preferences on headsets are as myriad as there are people and devices. Here are a few you might consider.
- On The Go – Cell Phone/iPad: For mobile telephones with a headphone jack, or for an iPad, the JLab Diego In-Ear Earbud headphones with Universal Mic are good quality for the money. The microphone also works on the single headphone/mic jack on the Macbook Air.
- Wireless Headset: For your desktop computer, the Logitech Wireless Headset (H760) With Behind-the-head Design is a good choice, with good quality sound and the convenience of being wireless. They are a little pricey compared to other models, however Professors Richardson and Nash have these and can recommend them.
- Wired Headset: The Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset (H390), are more budget-minded.