On Tuesday, March 17, the University of Kentucky notified students that UK will move to online or alternative formats for classroom instruction for the rest of the semester in response to the continued spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The information below has been emailed to UK College of Education students who are completing their student teaching. It details how students at this stage of their studies will continue receiving instruction during this time. This information was current as of Thursday, March 17. This page will be updated as needed.
As always, the well-being and success of our students is our top priority. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to Dr. Margaret Mohr-Schroeder, associate dean for clinical preparation & partnerships, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates on the university-wide response to COVID-19, visit https://www.uky.edu/coronavirus/.
Students in student teaching or other similar field experience:
Students in student teaching or other similar field experience
- Seminar courses will use an alternative instructional method through through the end of the semester
- All student teachers will still observe their schools’ spring break. If you plan to travel out of the state or the country during this time, the UK and the College of Education will ask that you self-quarantine for 14 days after you return if the schools go back into face to face sessions. You will be expected to participate in the Canvas Student Teaching Cohort during that self-quarantine time.
- Online information sessions regarding the transition to the Canvas Student Teaching Cohort for all programs (except IECE), were on Monday, March 16. An email with connection instructions was sent on Sunday, March 15.
You may watch the recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugbuFZjdSaI
The sessions took place in the following sequence (you may need to fast forward to find your session if watching this recording of the YouTube live session).
- 9:30am – Elementary Education & IECE (if applicable)
- 10:15 am – Middle, Secondary, World Languages (Undergraduate, MIC, MAT, MATWL)
- 11:00 am – KHP, Art, Music, Ag Ed
- 11:45 am – Special Education & Visual Impairment
- IECE student teachers – Beginning Monday, March 16, the student teaching placement will take place at the UK Early Childhood Laboratory (ECL). Please arrive no later than 7:30am.
- If the student teacher chooses to no longer attend the student teaching placement, they are required to participate in the Canvas Student Teaching Cohort in addition to their seminar course.
- Fayette County Public Schools – students are encouraged to attend their classroom with their cooperating teacher from March 16 – March 19 in order to prepare take home plans for their students. Beginning March 23, will transition to Canvas Student Teaching Cohort.
- If the student chooses to no longer attend the student teaching placement, they are required to participate in the online student teaching cohort in addition to their seminar course.
All other student teachers – Beginning Monday, March 16, student teachers will be required to participate in the Canvas Student Teaching Cohort (Expectations here) in addition to their seminar class.