Get into Good Trouble: An Education & Civil Rights Youth Summit
Saturday, October 23rd, 2021
In June of 2018, Representative John Lewis tweeted:
“Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”
On October 23rd, the Education & Civil Rights Initiative in collaboration with the NAACP will hold its first annual Education & Civil Rights Youth Summit. The goal of the summit is to rise to John Lewis’ call to get into “good trouble” and to examine how Civil Rights issues impact young people today across the nation. Aimed at youth ages 14 through 24, and adult allies, this one-day virtual Summit will offer a series of prominent keynote speakers as well as engaging, youth-led workshops featuring the following topics:
- Civic Engagement & National Vote Early Day
- Financial Literacy as a Civil Right
- Economic Empowerment
- How to be an Ally
- Radical Self Care
- Knowledge as Power
We believe that financial literacy is a civil right, as do our friends at WesBanco. Due to the generous sponsorship of WesBanco, registration for this year’s youth summit is provided free of charge.
Register here to join us! Open to youth ages 14-24, and adult allies nationwide. Registration is FREE.
Featured summit speakers to include:
- Mr. Derrick Johnson, President and CEO of the NAACP
- Dr. Adora Obi Nweze, Chair of the Education and Civil Rights Initiative Advisory Board
- Dr. Ivory Toldson, NAACP Vice President of Education and Innovation Research & Professor at Howard University
- Mr. Wisdom Cole, NAACP National Director of Youth and College Division
- Mr. P.G. Peeples, President and CEO of the Urban League of Lexington Fayette County, Ky.
- Mr. W. Teddy McDaniel, President and CEO of the of the Central Carolinas Urban League
- Abdul Muhammad, Senior Vice President, Regional Sales Manager at WesBanco
Summit Agenda: https://education.uky.edu/civil-rights/youth-summit/agenda/ (password required)
If you have questions or wish to sponsor the summit, please email CivilRightsInstitute@nulluky.edu.