The Education and Civil Rights Initiative in collaboration with the NAACP, is delighted to announce the second annual Civil Rights and Education Conference on April 7-9th 2022. Our initiative, housed at the University of Kentucky’s College of Education, focuses on making sure that every child in America experiences equitable access to education. We believe that financial literacy is a civil right, as do our friends at WesBanco. Due to the generous sponsorship of WesBanco, this conference is provided free of charge.
Join us for this three-day virtual conference where you can explore the most pressing issues of our time through multiple tracks organized by expert partners and collaborators including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, WesBanco, Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, and the Kentucky Community and Technical College System.
This year’s theme is Education as a Civil Right— Truth, Justice, and Equity for All. Conference tracks will include:
- Law & Justice Track*
- PK-20 Educator Track*
- Advocacy & Activism Track
- Post-Secondary Track
- Financial Literacy Track
*Continuing education credit is available upon request.
Featured speakers include:
- Ms. Natalie Cofield, Assistant Administrator for the Office of Women’s Business Ownership
- Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig, Dean of the College of Education, University of Kentucky
- Dr. Sarah LaCour-Yarbrough, Professor and Associate Director of the Education & Civil Rights Initiative, University of Kentucky
- Dr. Luis Ponjuan, Professor and IDEAL Research Director, Texas A & M University
- Professor Carl Smallwood, Director of the Divided Communities Project, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University
- Dr. Ivory Toldson, Director of Education & Innovation Research, NAACP
- Dr. Gregory Vincent, Professor and Executive Director of the Education & Civil Rights Initiative, University of Kentucky
- And many more!
This conference will be hosted virtually via WHOVA and Zoom. Registration is now open! Visit here to confirm your free ticket. The full conference agenda will go live mid-March. In the meantime, if you have questions or wish to sponsor the event, please email CivilRightsInstitute@nulluky.edu.Register here! View Conference Agenda
Having technical difficulties with our conference platform?
If it is the day of the conference, and you’re having a hard time accessing the WHOVA platform to view sessions, please make sure you have:
- Registered for the event,
- Download the WHOVA app or log in via the desktop App,
- Created a password to access the WHOVA platform,
- Logged in using the same email you registered with initially. **If you use a different email, you will get an error message.**
- Once you’re in the WHOVA platform, navigate to the live sessions by clicking Agenda.
If you’re still having trouble after taking the above steps, please watch this WHOVA attendee video guide or email CivilRightsInstitute@nulluky.edu.