Academic Advising

Meeting with an Advisor

Your academic advisor is the best place to start making the most of your experience at the UK College of Education. You must schedule an advising appointment each semester in preparation for priority registration. Besides helping you prepare for priority registration, our faculty and professional staff advisors are happy to meet with you to answer questions and help map out the pathway to your chosen field.

To schedule an advising appointment, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Log in to myUK
  2. From the home screen, click the “myInfo” tab
  3. On the left-hand side, click the “myAppointments” tab
  4. Select “College of Education” when prompted to choose your advising department
  5. Choose “General Advising”
  6. View your advisor’s schedule and select a time that works with your availability.
  7. Click the appointment time you want, then wait a few moments. You should see a confirmation that your appointment has been scheduled. You will receive an email on your UK email account confirming your appointment.
  8. You will receive a second email reminder 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Should you need to cancel or reschedule, log in to myUK and re-enter the appointment scheduler to make your changes. If you need to cancel your appointment within 24 hours, please email your assigned academic advisor.

To access notes from your academic advisor prior to Spring 2017, please log on to CEPIS with your myUK credentials.

Walk-In Advising

The UK College of Education offers walk-in advising every Tuesday and Wednesday from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Walk-in advising appointments are limited to 15 minutes per student. Prospective students and current College of Education majors may use walk-in advising. Please note that walk-in advising appointments cannot be used for priority registration advising or degree audits.

Prospective students can also email a UK College of Education advisor to schedule a 30 minute appointment for advising. To find your prospective advisor, please refer to question 1 in the FAQ’s below.


1. Who is my advisor?
Students are assigned an advisor based on their last name or major.

Kinesiology and Health Promotion Majors:
Clelia Smyth (students with last names A-H)
Nate Hibbitts (students with last names H-O)
Stephen Erena (students with last names P-Z)

Secondary English and STEM Education Majors:
Bob Singleton (students with last names A-Z)

IECE, ELED, Middle School, Special Education, Sec Social Studies:
Ryana Conway (students with last names A-K)
Jason Horger (students with last names L-Z)

ELED students admitted to the Teacher Education Program:
Dr. Jeanette Groth

If you have been admitted to a Teacher Education Program in a major other than Elementary Education, you will have to contact your faculty advisor via phone or email to set up an appointment.

2. I was recently admitted to TEP. How do I find out who my new advisor is?
Upon being admitted to TEP (Teacher Education Program), students from the following majors (IECE, Elementary Education, Special Education LBD & MSD, Middle School Education, Kinesiology and Health Promotion) are assigned a regular faculty advisor. The faculty advisor will be listed in the TEP acceptance letter and in myUK.

3. When should I meet with an advisor?
Students are required to meet with their advisor in preparation for Priority Registration. However, students with academic concerns and procedural questions are welcome to request an advisor meeting. Students on academic probation may be required to meet with their advisor additional times during the semester.

4. Where do I go for my advising appointment?
All Education majors go to 166 Taylor Education Building. Students admitted to TEP will meet in the office of their assigned faculty advisor. See map.

5. What is an advisor hold?
The Registrar’s Office places registration “holds” on all student records each semester. Students must meet with their advisor each semester prior to registration so that the student’s program can be discussed and course recommendations can be made. These appointments generally occur in March/April (for summer and fall registration) and October/November (for spring registration). Once the advising meeting is held, the electronic hold is lifted and the student may register during their scheduling “window.”

6. How can I meet with an advisor if I’m not a current Education major?
If you are interested in meeting with an advisor but aren’t a current Education major at UK, please contact your prospective advisor listed above in Question 1. This applies to anyone interested in the undergraduate Education program, as well as the MIC program.

7. How do I change majors?
Students interested in switching to a College of Education major should contact Raquel Keenan in the Advising Office at