RECENT FACULTY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, AWARDS, GRANTS...
- Board of Directors - National Reading Conference (2008-2011)
- Board of Directors - International Reading Association (2008-2011)
- Presented at International Reading Association's 23rd World Congress, New Zealand (2010)
"First Year Implementation Gains & Response to Intervention (RTI)"
- Presented at International Reading Association Annual Convention, Chicago (2010)
"Peer discussion of texts in on-line environments"
- Co-author of the lead article in May 2010 issue of the Journal of Educational Psychology, 102 (2), 257-280
"The impact of a comprehensive strategy-based intervention on the comprehension and strategy use of struggling adolescent readers."
- Co-authored a chapter in the Handbook of Reading Disability Research, August 2010
"Interventions to enhance narrative comprehension" pp. 329-344
Almasi, J.F., Palmer, B.M., Madden, A., Hart, S.
- Book: Instructional Technology Past, Present, and Future, 3rd Edition, 2011
- Presented at AACTE - American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, Atlanta (2010)
"Using technology to enhance globally focused teaching and field experiences"
- The Critical Role of Black religious Institutions in Educating African-American Youth.
Martin Dowson and Stuart devenish (Eds.), Religion and Spirituality (pp 195-214)
Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.
- Grant - from Kentucky Dept of Education to upgrade Business Education course in teacher education programs. $2,000.00
- Taskforce on Inclusiveness, 2010
Central Ky Educational Cooperative's Content Leadership Network,Higher Education Representative for English Language Arts.
- Chief Consultant, KDE Kentucky Curriculum and Assessment Reform Enterprise (KCARE), Model Curriculum Framework.
- Language education and social justice in English education policy. In s.
Miller & D. Kirkland (Eds.). Change matters: Critical essays on moving social justice research
from theory to policy, 189-196. New York: Peter Lang.
- Burns, L.D. (2011).Language education and social justice in English education policy. In s.j. Miller and D.E. Kirkland (Eds.), Change Matters: Critical essays on moving social justice research from theory to policy, (pp.189-196). New York: Peter Lang. Nominated, National Council of Teachers of English, Outstanding Research in English Education, Richard Meade Award.
- Book: Hall, Leigh A., Burns, Leslie D., Edwards, Elizabeth
Empowering Struggling Readers, Practices for the Middle Grades, 2011
- Kentucky Colonel honor for working to improve adolescent literacy in the commonwealth (2010)
- Presented at National Reading Conference, Fort Worth (2010)
"Variations in the strategic processing of expository text by proficient and struggling sixth graders over time"
- Presentation at the Striving Readers Spring Conference, "Kentucky Striving Readers: Insights from Years 1-3, 2010
- co-authored the lead article in the May edition of the Journal of Educational Psychology
"The Impact of a strategy-based reading intervention on the comprehension and strategy use of struggling adolescent readers" 2010
- Lincoln Heritage Reading Council, President Elect (2010)
- Kentucky Reading Association, Board of Directors (2010)
- National Council of Teachers of English, National Consulting Network (2010)
- University of Kentucky, Wethington Award (2010)
- Presented at Learning International Networks Consortium, MIT, Cambridge (2010)
"Inquiry strategies for the information society in the 21st centrury (ISIS-21)"
- Presented at AERA, Denver (2010)
"Designing a 21st century literacy skills curriculum for Plug GED In."
- Presented at IRA, Chicago (2010)
"Travel Buddies Project connects 1st and 2nd graders"
- Presented at Ky Adult Education Program Directors Institute, Louisville (2010)
"Career readiness in a flat world: Building skills for the 21 century"
- Presented at the National Science Teachers Association, Philadelphia (2010)
"Increasing 21st century science and literacy skills"
- Presented at American Association of Colleges for Techer Education, Atlanta (2010)
"Using technology to enhance clinical experiences and promote globally focused teaching"
- Presented at the Organizatin of American Historians, Washington, 2010
"What Educational Research Says about Teaching Women's History"
- Presented at American Educational Research Association, Denver (2010)
"Discussant: Teaching History with Film"
History Instruction Using Sociocultural Tools: Teaching History for the Common Good
- (in press) Learning History. In P. Alexander & R. Mayer (EDs.)
Handbook of Research on Learning and Instruction. Routledge
- (in press) L.S. & Barton, K.C. Doing History: Investigating with Children in Elementary and Middle School
Fourth edition. Routledge
- (in press) Henderson, A. G. & Levstik, L. S. What's caught; What's taught: Children interpreting material culture
- Dollar General Foundation Literacy Grant, UK family literacy program, UK Literacy Clinic, 2010
JOAN MAZUR & GERRY SWAN
Research Fellowship (awarded), University of Kentucky, Summer 2010
- Presentation at World Conference on Educational Sciences, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey
"Invisible differences: A pedagogical approach to personalizing diversity for pre-service teachers" 2010
- Presentation at George Williams College, Williams Bay, WI
"The impact of hidden curriculum on the development of a high school Gay/Straight Alliance" 2010
- Presentation at US Social forum: Another World is Possible. Another US is Necessary. A New Detroit is Underway, Detroit, MI
"Exploring the social context of schools and how to transform the training of teachers to create a more liberatory education" 2010
- University of Kentucky, Kentucky: An American Story, Summer grant 2010
- The Calvin K. Kazanjian Economic Foundation, Inc. Econocast: The Production, consumption and distribution of economic podcasts for the K-12 classroom. Summer 2010
- Library of Congress, Midwest Center for Teaching Primary Sources: Digital Docs in a Box, summer 2010
- P-20 Civic Engagement Lab. University of Kentucky, College of Education, 2010
one year planning lab to design and pilot an innovative curriculum integrating civic edu, critical iiteracy, and new literacies.
- Florida State University Writing Project, National Writing Project supporting PD for teachers K-16 to improve student writing skills, 2010
- National Writing Project, National evaluation of writing professinal development, four-year study examines the impact of teacher participation in the FSU Writing Project on 8th grade student writers, 2010
- Book - Literacy instruction for today's classroom: Implementing strategies based on 20 scholars and their ideas, 2010
- Presentation - Indiana University Southeast Writing Project
- Writing toward and away from home, New Albany, 2010
- Editorship, Literacy Research and Instruction referred Publication of the Association of
Literacy Educators and Researcfhers, 2010