MIC APPLICATIONS INSTRUCTIONS
MIC Applications are due by November 1 (Fall Semester) and February 14 (Spring Semester). The program is competitive so it is important to keep your GPA up and score well on your GRE! If you have questions or problems when applying for the MIC program, please contact your content area advisor.
Begin the application process by going to: https://otis.coe.uky.edu/MICapplication
1. Take the General GRE. Register at www.ets.org Have your scores sent to the UK Graduate School. The Institution Code is R1837.
2. Complete your application to the UK Graduate School at http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/procedure_onlineapp.html. Please use the following codes:
- Program: Curriculum and Instruction
- Program: Secondary Education
- Degree: Masters of Arts [DO NOT SELECT “TEACHER CERTIFICATION”]
You DO NOT need to upload a resume, recommendation letters, or a personal statement to your Graduate School application. Instead, enter “not needed”. These items should be included in your MIC application.
3. Register for an account for the MIC application. It is strongly suggested you change your password. Please fill out the applicant profile. This gives quick reference for your contact information. Be sure the email address is accurate as this will be the main form of communication with you.
4. Complete the MIC application form.
5. Complete the character and fitness form. Print it off and sign it returning it to Betty McCann in 305 Dickey Hall. If you have problems completing this form, contact Christopher Reese (Christopher.Reese@uky.edu) in the Certification Office.
6. Fill in the clinical hours form. Those of you who have EDC 362 should check the appropriate box. In either case, be sure to indicate where you completed your observation hours.
7. Complete your major and minor worksheets. For Mathematics: The five related studies courses should be included on the related studies worksheet.
8. For English and Social Studies applicants, be sure to upload your writing sample.
9. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation should be turned into Betty McCann in Room 305 Dickey Hall. These should be sealed and signed. Two of these three letters should be from professors and/or your supervising teacher from your observation experiences who can attest to your content knowledge and your potential as a secondary education teacher.
10. Make a copy of your GRE scores, all undergraduate (and graduate if applicable) transcripts (must have an official copy for our certification office if you are not a UK student), and give/send to Betty McCann in 305 Dickey Hall.
11. Pay your $30 application fee to "University of Kentucky" and submit to Betty McCann in Room 305 Dickey Hall.
12. Optional: Upload a photo. This will allow members of the faculty to put a face with your application since most of them have not met you.
Things to bring to Room 305 Dickey Hall:
- Printed off and signed Character and Fitness Form
- 3 Letters of Recommendation, sealed and signed
- Copy of your GRE scores and transcripts
- $30 application fee - Made out to University of Kentucky
For more information, please contact the appropriate advisor for your content area:
- Business Education, Dr. Doug Smith, 315 DH, 257-1824, firstname.lastname@example.org
- English Education, Dr. Les Burns, 248 TEB, email@example.com
- Mathematics Education, Dr. Margaret Mohr-Schroeder, 105C TEB, firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the MIC Math website for more information: http://www.uky.edu/Education/EDC/Math/mic
- Science Education, Dr. Brett Criswell, 119 TEB, email@example.com
- Social Studies Education, Dr. Kathy Swan, 348 DH, firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Information about MIC Program, Rebecca Mueller (Rebecca.Mueller@uky.edu)
- GRE scores, Praxis and anything pertaining to Certification, Christopher Reese (Christopher.Reese@uky.edu)
- MIC processing of application, graduate admission, fees, Betty McCann (email@example.com)